Hi Mark:
Ya, using the Microsoft Accessibility Properties for all Windows Winforms
projects is how they are designed. I usually just use the default roles and
set the other values like names to whatever values are appropriate.
The design of my forms use the standard Winforms controls and most work fine
but there are a few that WindowEyes struggles with like the Tabbed Document
control.
I have avoided controls that I have had WindowEyes problems with in the past
for my personal use but if I develop for the sighted community would need to
use some of them me thinks or the work would not look very professional.
I have asked about specific controls and the role settings, and others if
present, but never heard any responses from AI Squared, GW in the past.
Since this is a Microsoft Windows Project I should think UIA and, if still
used, MSAA are the articles of choice by a screen reader but there may be
more ways of pulling info.
Microsoft says the use of the accessibility properties is what they provide
the screen reader companies so they can do their jobs so it seems logical
that these roles and other accessibility properties should be noted as to
which ones a screen reader would look for for best results with the various
controls. In fact, the design of a program for blind folks depends on
knowing which controls read best and still provide the best sighted
experience.
These properties, according to Microsoft, are what we programmers need to
set to help the screen reader companies provide the best results.
This is why I asked in the past when confronted with a standard Winforms
control that would not work properly with WindowEyes - what accessibility
properties do I set with this control so WindowEyes will handle it correctly
but, I got no answers so I used other controls - not the best tools for the
job but WindowEyes could handle them well enough.
I may be doing more UI work soon and may have some questions about the
Accessibility property settings for some controls like the TabbedDocument
control and, or, the DataGrid control but whether or not I go that route is
still up in the air so I havent asked about them lately and wont unless I
actually need them.
I thought that message a clear short explanation of the accessibility
properties that we, as programmers, need to set to have a control work best
with a screen reader so posted it up since there was some confusion the last
time I mentioned this related to the Winforms Tabbed Document Accessibility
settings to use.
Rick USA