Hi Chip: You are the number 1 source I would think of for scripting because
of your work with a complex environment like Office.
Rod and others have some good understanding and have done some nice work but
you have the large-scale experience of analysis of complex programs.
Yes, no matter what I did there would never be any up front money.
This is because there are some things that just cant be scripted.
The only qualifications would be that I am provided some way to get any
software necessary to be scriptd like if I were to develop a script for a
program like Visual Studio or Sonar or something that required extensive
analysis.
But, as I have said, I don't envision myself as a scriptor and you know my
background and it isnt scripting.
It is a possibility but not likely given my dislike of analyzing other
peoples work using the tools available to us.
There is the possibility of creating external scripts that use native UIA
and that may offer some more advanced scripting options but you and perhaps
one or 2 others would know the complexities of third party scripting for
WindowEyes using a external script and the amount of work wouldn't be worth
the price for anyone without deep pockets.
I do not envision me doing anything along these lines unless some company or
government agency contacts me on behalf of some user and, even then, I would
likely have to decline because of my lack of experience.
But, I might recommend you or others on the scripting list as possible
options and, just perhaps, work with you guys on a script if it offered good
pay and a real benefit to some of the list members.
Anyway, this thread has been about beaten to death.
I have to see what Ross and oleusegun are interested in, I sort of know what
oleusegun has in mind - a point of sales program he    struggles with for
his small business.
The problem is getting a copy of the program to work with and the fact that
I am not setup for scripting and would have to ReEvaluate the existing tools
including my old Visual Studio scripting project that combined native UIA,
managed version, with the WindowEyes Object Model - not easy and, as you
noted, I would make nothing and not accept anything unless the job got done
and done right.
So the entire analysis and setting up of a scripting platform would fall on
my own shoulders which is the way I would want it in any situation - hay, I
am, or would be, applying for the job and my creed as you well know is its
your fault, my fault nobodys fault, just get the job done and done right or
don't charge the client.
That has been my creed for many, many years as anyone who knows me knows
that phrase well.
I just don't see me spending the time to develop scripts for larger
platforms like a point of sales program which may, or not, have the hooks
necessary to create a script in the first place.
But I know a really experienced scriptor like you have other tools to work
around some of the problems where the program in question doesn't offer
standard accessibility hooks for screen readers and that is exactly why I
would recommend you - I think you have the best chance of getting the job
done right and that is the endpoint of anything I do or recommend flat out.
I am not blowing smoke as you know but that is me and at my age I don't have
to change just to make a buck.
Rick USA