Jonathan,

Here's a quick crash course answer. And it's all off the top of my head. So I assume no liability for consequential, existential, or intercontinental damages.

You can only have one "active" window. But that's a bit misleading. The Window-Eyes windows act somewhat like program windows and child windows in a program. While you always have to have the main program window, which is nothing more than a frame, everything within it is a child window of that window. That is unless you're a Mozilla developer and put up a window frame and then make all of its children direct children of the desktop. They need serious long-term psychiatric therapy. But I digress. In Window-Eyes the normal ancestry used by sane developers works with precedence.

Window 0 has the highest precedence. So in effect it is the parent window. for example, if you made window 0 silent then it's not going to matter what you do with the other 99 windows because their precedence is lower than that of window 0.

Therefore, typically window 0 is the active window, neutral, and uses auto-determined highlighting. Generally this will serve you best for normal usage of the program. Then you can move up and configure, for example, window 1 to always speak the text you want that's in a particular color. That window doesn't have to be active if it's a speak window. Alternatively you can make it a neutral window and assign a hot key to it so you can have it speak when you want. If you do assign a hot key make sure to give it program scope.

How you handle the text in a particular color depends on how you want it to work and how much information you can pin down about it. If you have mouse access you can use it to set the window coordinates using the hot keys. You can set the foreground/background and highlight color in the window properties to "accept mouse." But these dialogs will only appear if you uncheck match any foreground and background colors and auto-determine highlight color. Then just tab through the manual options until you come to the "Accept mouse" button.

Then there's the approach of using hyperactive windows, which I'll simply leave at that for the moment.

When you're done whipping up windows don't forget to set the main window back to 0 and save the set file.

Hth,
Tom