From: Talk [mailto:talk-bounces+skyt=shaw...@lists.window-eyes.com] On
Behalf Of Dave via Talk
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 6:19 PM
To: Andy Baracco; Window-Eyes Discussion List
Subject: Re: Think Business

Yes, you make some good points.

I am amazed at how many use a Smart Phone of some kind instead of a PC.

Guess when you get down to it, most of the reasons why a blind person
would use a computer is almost covered by today's Smart Phone.

I took a week long class at my local State Agency for the blind, and I
was surprised that everyone, and I do mean, everyone, had an I-Phone or
something like it.  And most everyone seemed to be checking it every
five minutes or less!    Even my Instructor was grabbing his phone every
time it Beeped, even if he was attempting to instruct me about the
subject of the class.

I felt this was some what Rude, but I also thought him coming to class
late and then leaving early was also rude.  especially since I was there
to learn as much as I could.  I was there on time, so why wasn't he?

But, this is the over all general Operating Procedure for this Agency.
So I guess I should have been glad to get what I        received.

but, the answer for everything seemed to be an I-Phone.  Something I
have yet to purchase, mainly because Grumpy Dave has enough to be Grumpy
about.  And I can not think of any reason to justify the cost, or the
monthly cost of the Plan needed to run the thing.

I was impressed at what these I-phones can do, but when I thought about
it, I didn't need what they offered.  At least not yet.

I did like the ability to know your location, and even what stores are
near by.  I thought that was very handy.  But handy enough to pay the
cost of everything to get this feature?  Not really.

So, I am making do with what I already own etc.

I am also surprised at how few blind people even use a computer.  I had
a chance to see how many people have downloaded NVDA, and this was World
Wide numbers, and I was thinking the number should have been much much
higher.

No wonder the money seems to be in the equipment for Low Vision people
rather than those who are so blind they need a Screen Reader.

We are indeed a small minority.

Grumpy Dave

--
Dave <dlh...@centurylink.net>