I really think I'd have to go with Joseph's suggestion. As he said, it had a rather smug form of expression or inflection, and I can't disagree with that assessment or critique. But I'm fairly certain that it wasn't the Vert Plus, because I worked with that one a time or two, and it sounded nothing like the one Wakefield was using on the tapes.

On 10/19/2016 9:34 AM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
I remember a dos tape, but I don't remember who did it.  But maybe, was
he using Vert Plus?  I was hoping I would get that, but the Commission
gave me Artic.  Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Larry Higgins via Talk
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:56 AM
To: Don H ; Window-Eyes Discussion List
Subject: Re: Reminiscing about old Screen Readers and Synthesizers

OK folks, this question strays slightly off the precise topic a smidgen,
but here goes.

Some of you may have been acquainted with the intro  to DOS tapes made
by Doug Wakefield. I thought these presentations were quite good at the
time. But what I would like to know to this day is just what synthesizer
he was using on those tapes. I thought it sounded a bit more pleasant
than even DEC Talk. These must have been made in the late 80s or early 90s.

I do remember back in the day thinking that I would never get used to
the sound of the Artic Synphonic (spelling), and was aiming for a DT,
but ultimately had to settle for the Artic.

Anyway, if anybody knows the answer to my question, I would really like
to know, even after all these many years