I think the Expressive voices from Vocalizer are just fine. I realize that there are probably ones out there that sound more human (or is hu-person these days, Grin?) I used Alex on my I-phone and think that sounds pretty good. I've since downloaded a newer one that I guess came out with IOS-10 called Tom. I didn't mind the DecTalk voices, but I always thought they sounded like some Scandinavian guy after a couple of glasses of Aquavit.
Kim Lingo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Higgins via Talk" <talk@lists.window-eyes.com> To: "Chris Grabowski" <cgrabow...@aisquared.com>; "Window-Eyes Discussion List" <talk@lists.window-eyes.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:55 AM
Subject: Re: speech synthesizers

It seems to me that the more human sounding they try to make the synthesized voice, the more computer like they end up sounding. I have, thank God, known, or have heard, only a few people that would fit the description, but I have heard a few people, and I'm sure most of you have at one time or another, that sound more like synthesizers than people. I must say that I feel quite sorry for people who just can't help speaking that way.

Of course, I, like the rest of you I'm sure want the robotic sound of a synthesizer to sound as pleasantly robotic as possible, but again, the more human sounding they succeed in making the voice, the quality of the delivery becomes just irritatingly stilted, halting, or whatever appropriate adjective might be applicable.

Case in point, have you listened to NOAA Weather Radio lately?

As for me, I think I'll just stick with my trusty Eloquence for as long as I can.