go to sounds in the control panel. inthere choose your playback device you are useing. then tab somewhere in there is sound enhancements and turn it off. but this will also lower the bass for music you play too.
check in the control panel to see if the microphone is turned off.

-----Original Message----- From: Linette Sukup via Talk
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 7:48 PM
To: Window-Eyes Discussion List
Subject: took the plunge and got Windows 10, but now have questions

First, since downloading and installing Windows 10, the synthesizer
voice is distorted; it sounds similar to a person talking too close to a
microphone. What is causing this, and how can it be fixed?

Second, when I try using Cortana, she (bear with me here) is unable to
hear me. Later, I receive the message that the microphone, whis is
ostensibly located on the left side of my computer, is unpluggged. How
do you plug in a built-in mic?
I have an HP Pavilion laptop, now running indows 10 and latest WE.
Thank you.

Peace.
Linette

For membership options, visit http://lists.window-eyes.com/options.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com/netbat%40comcast.net. For subscription options, visit http://lists.window-eyes.com/listinfo.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com List archives can be found at http://lists.window-eyes.com/private.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com