Hi Brenda,
I have verbosity set to intermediate but no desktop icons are indexed unfortunately.

Although Jaws does not index the messages in Thunderbird like WE did, there is a way to gain the information with Jaws. The total number of messages in the folder can be obtained from the folder name prior to entering the folder. The number of read and unread messages can be located at the bottom of the screen with the touch cursor.
1. press control end to go to the bottom of the list of messages.
2. turn on the touch cursor with shift numpad plus.
3.use the right arrow to go down to the bottom where you will find the number of read and unread messages. Press numpad plus twice quickly to leave the touch cursor.

HTH
Neville.