Peter,
I would think hard about what you changed because browse mode hot keys would not effect the arrow keys on the desktop, in explorer, etc, because you're not in browse mode.
Look at hot keys, cursor. The arrows should not be defined in that list.
Also check Cursor keys, keys. Left and right arrow should both be defined as character after. These are over-ridden when need be, such as on the desktop.
Hth,
Tom