I love this explaination. Perfect example of using an orange. Changes in latitudes and changes in attitudes anyone?

-----Original Message----- From: David via Talk
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2019 10:33 AM
To: Window-Eyes Discussion List
Cc: David
Subject: Re: Weather or not issue

Larry and the resst,
I will spend a few minutes of your time, attempting to answer the
question of yours, the way I understood your asking.

How come, that every place on earth, can be refered to by a set of
coordinates?

First of all, we need to understand the terms Longitude, and Latitude.
Are you a former sighted person, or still have a certain amount of
eye-sight to lean on, this might be basic for you. For those of you who
grew up with no sight, geography might be one of the classes where
things sometimes got a bit too simplified. So let's take a moment to
explain the two terms.

Imagine the earth, being a fruit, like an orange. You know, if you peel
an orange, the inner fruit will consist of several wedges. Where all the
wedges meet, on top, and in the bottom of the fruit - is where the poles
are; North on top, South-pole (or Antartica) in the bottom. The lines
between the individual wedges, which runs from one pole to the other,
would now be your Longitudes. The fruit only holds a few longitudes,
whereas the Earth has been divided into 360 longitudes. To make things
easier for all who navigate, the longitude that runs through Greenwich -
which I do hold is located in the UK - has been defined as Longitude 0.
Any longitudes to the West (or left on the map), will have a negative
longitude value. Any longitude to the East (or right) of the Greenwich,
will be a positive longitude. When you, at the strict opposite side of
the globe, have the positives and negatives meet, you are standing on
the 180th longitude. By the way, that particular longitude - 180 - will
also be known as the Date-line. This due to the fact, that is where the
24-hour day has been defined by human wisdom, to wrap. You will very
likely be quite familiar with time-zones, and know that at given times
throughout the day, you are sleeping, while other locations on Earth
will be quite enjoying their lunch.

OK, so that all took care of the longitudes. But what are latitudes?
Get back to your orange. Place it so that the southern pole rests on the
table, and the North-Pole is located on the very top point of the fruit.
Take a pkiece of rope, and wrap it around the very belly of the fruit -
that is, where the fruit is at its very thickest. This belt, is the
Equator, running exactly mid-way between the two poles, and all around
the globe. It is Latitude 0. Go ahead, and stretch new belts around your
fruit, at exact intervals, until you reach the North-pole, or top of the
fruit. You now should hav 180 such belts, and they are all positively
numbered. Repeat the action, stretching belts around the southern
hemosphere of your globe, again equally intervalling them, till you
reach 180, which will be encircling the Southern Pole. All the southern
latitude belts, will have negative numbers.

Now that we have divided our globe into longitude lines, and latitude
belts, it all forms a coordinate system. Easily understood, is the fact
that we could refer to any place, which happen to be located at the very
crossing point of any of these lines. But what about the places, which
happen to be located anywhere in the areas BETWEEN the grid lines? How
can we best refer to them?

In the class of navigation, you would be talking about minutes, degrees
and seconds. They are not completely linked to the time you can read on
a clock, and I won't claim to understand these calculations too well.
What's more, we do not need to fully understand. But let me tell you
that modern technology has made it all a bit easier for us humans.

How about we tell that you need to move a certain amount of steps, to
get from one longitude to the next. And likewise, you need a given
number of steps, to get from latitude A, to latitude B. (please note, I
am not here refering to a walking step, but rather any predefined
stretch we have to move in our coordinate system.) If now, we could have
a way to tell which longitude and latitude to start from, and how many
steps into the grid square between our coordinate lines we are actually
positioned, it would make our location quite much more accurate. So how
do we do that?

If you noticed, when we were to fill in our Location coordinates, in the
WeatherOrNot ini file, we used some decimal values. The main part of the
value, the digits to the left of the decimal point, is the number that
directly refers to the line number in our coordinate. A latitude value
of 63.49420, will then refer to the latitude number 63 - counted from
the Equator and to the North. The minor part of the decimal number - in
our example 49420, will be how far - how many steps - further north of
the 63rd latitude our position is.

Again, a Longitude value of -59.12345, which is a negative number - will
refer us to the 59th longitude to the West of Greenwich; and further
12345 units into the west. If we now combine the latitude and longitude
numbers, we could get to a quite exact position on earth.

How exact positioning could we be?
Well, basically it all depends on how exact our measuring equipment is.
If you told the distance between two latitude belts to be something like
70 miles, or 112km, you could decide to only split that distance into 10
steps, and you only would need one decimal digit in your coordinat
values. The backside of such few steps between each major line, would of
course be a rather lacking accuracy in your telling where to find your
treasure. With modern GPS and other navigation equipment, we are able to
define even down to the ten thousandth step between each longitude as
well as between each latitude. With such keen accuracy, we are able to
get quite exactly to the point where we are located. With GPS - which
slightly differs in their values, you can even get to the very address
of any house or building on earth.

Comes to our craving to know the weather condition in a city, we might
not bother too much accuracy. As a matter of fact, I discovered that the
WeatherOrNot app originally only had four decimals in its value, whereas
the website I pointed you to, gives us values of 5 decimals. This
difference matters little, when all we want to know, is the weather
conditions in a given area. Simplifying it all, what if 4 decimals would
give us the outer boarders of our town, whereas the 5 decimals will
narrow it down to whether you are in the north, or in the western  part
of the town. For most villages and towns, it would have no impact on the
info we are looking for. Even for the biggest cities, it might not be
too much to bother, since the weather measurements we are receiving,
might have been taken a totally different place in town, from where you
sit at the moment. Weather conditions might be given specifically, or as
an average of all the measurements reported for that city. It all will
depend on exactly what weather service the app retrieves its info from.

Just to round it all up, As modern technology develops, more and more
decimals can be added to your positioning coordinate values - meaning
smaller and smaller steps can be measured. It is not unlikely that you
already would be able to give a quite accurate coordinate, for each room
of your house. Just imagine that your bedroom is one decimal place
closer to Equator, and that might be why you feel so warm and comfie in
bed. Hahaha. Might sound like a joke, but reality is that given the
right equipment, it is not totaly a dream to have such exact
measurements. OK then, to what extent it will affect the temperature of
your room, was a mere joke.

Larry, I hope this helped you a bit. On the website I refered you to,
they have a bit more info on the coordinates. And if you want even more
details, try looking up online dictionaries, on the terms of Longitudes
and Latitudes.

David