From: David <trailerda...@hotmail.com>
Sent: February 3, 2019 5:58 PM
To: Window-Eyes Discussion List <talk@lists.window-eyes.com>
Cc: Rod Hutton <rod_hut...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Weather or not issue

OK, guys.
This, is going to be a rather long message, so work your way through.
I will try to share my findings on the issue you are having, with the
WeatherOrNot app. These are based on some fooling around, and quick searchings
on the net, so take them for what they are worth. I do have no clue exactly
where, how or what the Weather app extracts its info, so you will have to do
your own playing around. But when I tried the following steps, it at least gave
me some results. Smiles.

As someone suggested, please make it a habit of backing up any file before you
modify it at all.

OK, the first thing we need to know, is the Longitude and Latitude coordinates,
in a decimal format, for the city or place you are trying to add. I did try a
few webpages, and here is one that I found to be fairly easy to operate with
WinEyes:
https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.latlong.net%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C6f0b78c2423f49f289e108d68a2b14b7%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636848314961161683&amp;sdata=NQTC4YP3torOtuB7zWVBLFwfeE4nDmeg0cLRnThw%2F6U%3D&amp;reserved=0

When opening the page, go to the first Edit box, and here enter your city. Like:
     Toronto, On
for finding the city of Toronto in the province of Ontario, in Canada.
Once you have typed your info, hit the Enter key.
Please note, it seems that you will have to manually turn back on Browse Mode
here.

The page will now come up with its results. If it found the exact city or
place, it will give you two edit boxes, right beneath the Find-button on the
page. They will hold the necessary numbers, for the  Longitude and Latitude.
Copy and paste them into your ini file, as will be described below.

In a few cases, I noticed the page came up with more than one choice for the
city. They then were presented in a table, with a link for each city. You would
simply choose the wanted link, hit Enter, and go to the text line, that gives
you the coordinates. Copy and paste the given info into your ini file.

How To Modify The Ini File?
Now that we have found the needed info to direct the app, let's get to the real
job. And, yes, it is a bit of typing to be done. We will go by it, step by step.

First, open your WE control panel, and hit Alt-F, followed by the letter E. The
user profile folder will open.

Keep pressing the W, til you get to the file named:
     WeatherOrNot.ini
, and hit Enter on it. It should open in something like Notepad.
Please note, from here, it will be good to have your synth spell out all
punctuations, and even Upper- and Lower-cased characters, as they are all
important.

In the ini file, scroll down to the line that reads
     [Locations]
. Do NOT modify this line.

Hit the End-key, to go to the end of the line, and then Hit Enter. You now have
a blank line for entering your personalized info.
What the app wants here, is a section name, for your new location. To keep our
above example rolling, enter the following line. Or, modify it to your personal
location:
     Toronto, Ontario=43.651890, -79.381710 . To break this line down, please
note:
To the left of the Equals sign, we give the app the name of the location we are
entering. It doesn't really matter what name you give it, long as you keep
track of the exact name and spelling - as we will be using it in a moment.
Behind the Equal sign, we give the two coordinates, as copied from the website.
First the Latitude, followed by a Comma, A space character, and then the
Longitude value. No other info, no other punctuation. The coordinates should be
given in positive or negative values, exactly copied from the website.

Once this Location line has been established, we are ready to move on to the
next modification of the ini file.
Move yourself to the bottom of the file, by hitting Ctrl-end.

You now will have to enter a section, holding the actual settings for your new
location. this section, it is, that controls how and what info the app will
read to you.

A section, always starts out with a header. That is, a line enclosed in
brackets. The header, should be an exact copy of the info you entered to the
left of the Equal sign, in your location line. It is case, and character
sensitive, so make sure you get an one-by-one copy of your location line. In
our example, it will look like this:
     [Toronto, ontario]
. Press Enter when you are done.

Now that we have established the section, it is time to set it all up.
The section should hold four fields. They are placed on individual lines, their
name spelled all in lower-cases, and ends with an Equal sign, and your wanted
setting. Lets get to them one by one.

name=
Here enter the name of the location, that you want read out to you, whenever
you press the hotkey. It could be the city name, or some kind of an alias -
like home, work, grandma's place, or whatever. Our example line could be:
     name=Toronto
or,
     Name=Big city of Canada.
Please note, that you can use a mix of upper- and lower-cased characters, along
with normal punctuation (except from the Equal sign), or even numbers - in your
string here.

temp=
Behind the Equal sign, enter a lower-cased c, for Celcius; or a lowercased f,
for having the temperature read in degrees Fahrenheit.
Obviously, it seems there should be a way to have the app read both formats,
and my guess is that you simply enter either cf, or fc, in this field.

wind=
Here enter ms, for meter-per-second; or mph, to have the app giving you the
windspeed in miles-per-hour. A couple more measurements should be available,
far as I can see, but you will do your own playing.

status=OK
Huh? Don't ask me what this means. But apparently the app wants you to tell it
that you, your old auntie, or the pizza you had for dinner last night was OK.
Give it what it wants, and hope for the best. Smiles. If you decide to fool
with this line, and feel you can make any sense of it, get back and enlighten
us all. Hit Enter when you are all done.

You know what?
You now are almost done. Only two very important steps are left. But before we
take care of them, let me just sum up the lines we entered in our example.

[Locations]
Toronto, Ontario=43.651890, -79.381710
[Toronto, Ontario]
name=A Fun Place To Visit
temp=c
wind=mph
status=OK

Yep. And now to the final steps.
First one, surprisingly enough, will be to hit the Alt-F4, and choosing to save
our updates to the file.

Second step, is to restart the app.
Go to the WE control panel, and hit the Alt-A.
Hit the Right-Arrow, to expand the App managing.
Scroll down to App Managing, and hit Enter.
here, press the W, till you get to the WeatherOrNot app.
Either hit the Alt-R to reload, or hit the Alt-E twice to turn it off and back
on.

Boys and Girls, job should be done. though a rather long description, your new
location now should be ready to be announced, whenever you hit the app hotkey.
Anything not working? Well, let the list know, and see if there might be a
workaround.

Oh, and let me add one extra goodie to it all. If you have more than one
location, you can add them on to your ini file. The steps will be all the same.
You need one location line, and a whole section for each location. When the
read-aloud is taking place, the app will read to you the locations and their
info, consequtively. That is, it will read the locations, in the order they are
listed in the [Locations] part of the ini file. So make sure you organize the
lines in the order you want things read out.

To have a small break between each location, you could try to enter a
period-sign, and a space character as the beginning of each name-string.
Like:
name=. My Home Place

Enjoy your playing.

David