On Jan 22, 2008 9:41 PM, Artem Pavlenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wonder why geographical projection for tiles ? They look quite
> distorted when warped on sphere:
> http://artem.dev.openstreetmap.org/files/marble-osm.jpg
> Maybe spherical Mercator (same as in GMap) would produce better results.

Problem is that mercator doesn't work for the poles, which is kinda
important for 3D. Also as you get closer to the poles you need to load
more tiles to cover the same area. Plate Carre isn't perfect, but it's
much better for this purpose. If we setup a tileserver to render in
platecarre that might at least fix the stretching, maybe...?

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://svana.org/kleptog/