On 22 Jan 2008, at 12:59, Torsten Rahn wrote:

> Seems my mail doesn't get immediately approved on OSM-talk, so
> here's my
> answer in private. In case of reply please CC me, as I'm not
> subsribed to
> OSM-talk.
>
>>> I'm on version 0.5 and I get the data by going to "File -> Download
>>> New
>>> Data..." and installing the Mapnik tiles. They can then be used by
>>> chosing "OSM Mapnik" in the "Map View" sidebar.
>>
>> Hmm... I compiled 0.6 from source and there's no 'Download New
>> Data..'
>>
>> Artem
>
> "File -> Download New Data" (DXS)
>
> is one of the very few features that only get enabled if you
> compile the KDE
> version (it's a KDE technology). While the MarbleWidget only
> depends on Qt4
> you can have additional features in the menu that get supported
> throught the
> KDE framework if you compile it as a KDE4 application.
>
> So you probably compiled with -DQTONLY=ON.

Yes, I compiled on Mac :)

> The OSM data provided by DXS was only supposed to be testing data
> to check
> whether the feature works actually. I had long planned to pull it
> from the
> server and would like to replace it by better (OSM) data.

It would be great to be able to pull data from the server.  But for
the time being I rendered some tiles locally and it works.
I wonder why geographical projection for tiles ? They look quite
distorted when warped on sphere:
http://artem.dev.openstreetmap.org/files/marble-osm.jpg
Maybe spherical Mercator (same as in GMap) would produce better results.

Great app! Look forward to hacking it properly.

Best
Artem