On 18/02/2008, Tom Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If the slip roads are not really underneath the other roads then
> yes it is definitely wrong (IMHO). The layer tag is meant to describe
> the physical ordering of the roads on the ground.
>
> If something isn't rendering right the solution is to fix the
> rendering not to deliberately misdescribe the data to try and
> make the rendering look prettier.

This was very much my own view too. However, there's the basis for an
argument here. The deck of a bridge (layer=1) that spans a motorway is
probably on the same "level" as the roadways connected to it (layer=0,
usually implicit).

The other mapper I was discussing this with is doing something that,
IMO, isn't as drastic as tagging slip roads at layer=-1. He likes to
tag the mainline of the motorway to layer=-1 for a buffer zone either
side of a bridge that spans it. You _could_ argue that it's no worse
than the bridge deck and its connections to the non-bridge roadways.

But to me, this is all just unnecessary editing and rendering sugar
doesn't belong in the data set. The ideal thing would be if the
rendering quirks could be ironed out so that people wouldn't feel
motivated to spend their time on workarounds. Does any rendering
wizard agree? (because I wouldn't know where to start...)

Dermot