German C't Magazine had an article a couple of months ago about how to keep a PDA/GPS charged with a hub dynamo while cycling. They basically showed you how to construct a buffer battery and electronics for it, that can fit into the seat tube. I dont know if there a English translation, the article unfortunately is paying.

http://www.heise.de/kiosk/archiv/ct/2007/23/190_Mit_dem_Nabendynamo_Akkus_aufladen