Chris Hill wrote:

> Leaving the namespace issue aside, how would one collect the information
> about
> climbing routes?  The routes I climbed didn't have signs or the like to
> gather
> from the site.  All of the climbing guides I have that describe the routes,
> including their name, grade, number of pitches etc are copyright.  Are there
> copyright free sources of this information?

The information I put on the one route I've done so far came from
"common knowledge" amongst the local climbers.  Of course the local
guide book also contains the same information, also gleaned from "common
knowledge" so it is a rather fuzzy issue when you start to question
where the original information came from, whether it can even be
copyrighted by anyone, etc.

I don't think the problem is a lot different to normal mapping though -
if you ask someone "what is that road called" (maybe it doesn't have a
road sign) and they tell you, you have no idea if they previously read
it off a map, or if the Ordnance Survey asked the same people the same
question (thus their map contains the same data), etc.

Seems a difficult question - at what point does copyright end and
common/local knowledge begin?

Some of the information is hard fact though - if you've climbed a route
then you can estimate its length, etc.

--

  - Steve
    xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.nexusuk.org/