Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Define "appropriate".  Otherwise it cannot.  A "cycleway" (Radweg)
> is somethig very special in Germany (unfortunately).  It does not
> equal to a path where you are allowed to cycle.  You are _forced_ to
> make use of this way if it accompanies the street.  Of course, here
> in Germany there are also many a lot ways where cycling is possible
> (legally and physically), but most of these ways are by no means
> "cycleway"; often these ways are just "tracks".

The access restrictions on the road ("no bicycles if there is an
accompanying cycle route") don't affect the access on the cycle route
itself.  Obviously legality of use by other modes of transportation will
vary by jurisdiction (In some places cycleway implies "moped=yes", while
in others it implies "moped=no").  But I think it's fair to say that in
all jurisdictions, highway=cycleway will imply bicycle=designated.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"