Lat night I attended a steering group meeting for my local Connect2 [1]
project in north east Birmingham [2]. One of the things that the group could
benefit from is rapid response on mapping so that it can discuss route
options for the new cycle/walk routes to be built under the project. OSM is
the logical tool to use for this process and I'm keen to show what we can do
with the OSM data and the OSM platform to support the work. At the moment
everything is done as overlays on Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 mapping, not an
ideal way to integrate ideas into the existing infrastructure.

This brings me to the point though. Currently we map physical features as
they exist and in some cases the alignment of known construction, what we do
not do is use OSM as a planning tool. What are people's views on this? It
seems that OSM is an ideal platform for enabling communities to develop
their own planning, without having to rely wholly on the GIS department of
their Local Authority, it also makes publishing ideas so much easier without
the encumberment of the OS licence restrictions.

Anyway I'm going to give it a try here and come up with some logical tags so
that the data does not get rendered by default unless a custom style sheet
is deployed. But maybe the easiest was is to have the renders ignore data
that carries a specific tag. planning= perhaps?

I'd welcome some feedback.

Cheers

Andy

[1] www.connect2.org.uk