On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:54:44 -0700, SteveC wrote:

> can you summarise these with examples?

See e.g. Wikipedia.

That being said, I'd state that while IPA may be harder to type, it's
readable and mostly-pronounceable even if you don't know exactly what
e.g. an ΓΈ stands for. This cannot be said for SAMPA, where the same
sound is rendered by the letter 2 (because the French word for that
number is pronounced using that vowel sound). Other numbers and non-
lowercase ASCII is taken from other European languages, including
Russian.

Plus you can get IPA from most online dictionaries, which allow you to
look up words which sound roughly like the place you're trying to tag,
and splice that together. No knowledge of IPA required. (Somebody else
can fix it if you're unsure; add a todo=pronunciation tag, which I'm
going to add to the TODO proposal right away *g*.)

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - -