On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:05:49 +1200, Robin Paulson wrote:

> why not have a repository of ogg files on the wiki/in a database for all
> names?

'Cause that takes up a whole lot of disk space, not to mention another
huge chunk of bandwidth when somebody wants to actually use the data,
which should be the whole point of this exercise.

> we just record them ourselves. they won't all be the
> same voice, accent, volume or anything else,

Not to mention understandability, while you're driving around in the
darkness and while the kids ask, for the umpteenth time, when you'll be
there, dammit.

I'd really like to hear the street names as pronounced by the people
who actually logged them, too -- but, to be useful, that kind of stuff
must be consistent.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - -