2008/8/25 Kevin Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> "or, consider from the pedestrian's point-of-view:
> it is assumed for all roads except motorways and where explicitly
> stated, that there is foot=yes access. in which case, the
> footpath/sidewalk/pavement is therefore part of the way which represents
> the road; we don't draw  a separate way off to one side, running
> parallel. the bus stop must be on the footpath for the pedestrian to be
> able to walk up to it, so again it must be part of the way"
>
> Is this the case?  I've never seen this written in anywhere before?  If this
> is the case, how do you specify that there isn't a footpath running in
> parallel with one or both sides of a road?  How this then rendered to
> indicate which side of a road had a path and which one doesn't.
>
> I've asked this before in the wiki, but didn't get any answers. I think this
> information for footpaths is very important for people with limited
> mobility.

no, it's not written anywhere - i'm just using logic to extrapolate
what we do at present to encompass how to deal with this situation

there is a tag proposal discussion to explicitly determine whether a
road has pavements on either side, both sides or neither, but i think
it's stalled at some point. feel free to resurrect if you wish, i
think it's something that needs sorting

i'm sure the implied 'foot=yes', on all roads except motorways, is
somehwere in the wikithough?