----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Fairhurst" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Talk Openstreetmap" <talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Potlatch & duplicated node

> David Groom wrote:
>
>> Whilst reviewing data I've noted recently a large number of duplicated
>> nodes.  These occur where one way joins another.
>
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/915
>
> In short, the issue is that Potlatch creates a node with an (internal)
> negative ID. When the way is written to the server, the server assigns
> the node a new ID, and this is sent back to Potlatch. Potlatch then
> renumbers (say) node -5 to node 2876515.
>
> Unfortunately, this falls down if the server is running slowly (or the
> user has an intermittent connection) and the user is working quickly.
> If node -5 is shared by way A and way B, the user may upload way A,
> and while the server is chewing on it, upload way B. Two separate
> uploads, so two separate node IDs.
>
> It's the single biggest bug there is in Potlatch and the only reason I
> haven't fixed it yet is because it's a Hard Problem. Probably the
> solution is to "chain" uploads so B won't finish until A has; maybe
> the solution is to have some type of server-side persistence so that B
> can look up "user x, session y, node -5" and get 2876515. The easiest
> answer to code would be simply for the upload of B to check if a node
> already existed at that lat/long, and if so to use its id, but that's
> just horrid. I'd say "patches welcome", but more in hope than
> expectation.

Does thtis mean that in theory when creating a "T" junction it would be
better to start from the existing way, insert a node, and then draw the new
way "away" from the exisitng way, rather than to start a new way and move
towards the exiting way and join on to that existing way?

>> I've managed to create a few myself, but have noted that many other
>> users
>> are doing the same.  In each instance the relevant ways have
>> "created by
>> Potlatch" as tags.
>
> Although it's appropriate in this case, remember that created_by is
> not a reliable indicator to what editor was used to carry out the
> edit, for this reason:
>
> http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/1047
>
> and Potlatch's version number is in the created_by string for a
> reason, please do quote it if you can. :)
>

> On a general point, talk@ is not the Potlatch bugs reporting forum,
> trac is, and my peculiar view of coding etiquette is that it's a
> little more polite to contact the developer first rather than using a
> public mailing list (and thank you very much to all those people who
> do). I don't really mind too much, but experience shows people are
> more likely to get defensive when problems are aired in public
> initially, which can be counter-productive.

Fully appreciate and undersatnd that Richard, but felt it important to put
mappers on notice that perhaps they should do a bit more checking of the
data they have been working on.

David