On Monday 01 September 2008 19:07:13 Norbert Wenzel wrote:
> Lance Dyas wrote:
> > [...] The direct emails arent marked as
> > coming through the list and are likely to end up in
> > my spam bucketss... or just get overlooked.
>
> Well they are marked. For mailing lists like OSM I do not filter the
> email address but the subject. The "[OSM-talk]" part, stays in the
> subject, even if this has been a direct reply to your message. They are
> even correctly positioned in the thread in Thundbird here.
>
> So since everything which comes through the list has the [OSM] part in
> the subject and every reply which is sent directly to you has it either,
> I'd just change my filter from email address to subject and everythings
> as you like it.

Or just filter on the email header "List-Id"
containing "<talk.openstreetmap.org>". I believe a header like this is set
for all mailman lists. An email client like KMail will do this easily (right
click on a message and click 'create filter'->'filter on mailing list...').
This also helps avoid problems where mails are cross-posted between lists
since you can sometimes end up with the subject beginning with "[OSM-talk]
[OSM-dev]"

Incidentally, in KMail, simply clicking reply will send to
talk@openstreetmap.org though it does also have a 'reply to mailing list'
button for the lists where that doesn't work.

Regards,
Matt Williams