Thanks for the quick action. The amount of data downloaded by the query
was significantly more then before so that was already promising.
Looking at the data in JOSM showed no sign of crippled roads so that bug
appears to be squashed.

However the bbox parameter still does not seem to do what I expect from
it (data returning from UK, NL, DE and BE instead of roughly a province
in NL). Reversing the parameters gives almost but not exactly the same
result:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 lambertus lambertus 16519465 Sep 11 08:45 data.osm.4 (wget
http://www.informationfreeway.org/api/0.5/relation[network=rcn][bbox=5.5,52.0,6.3,52.3])
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lambertus lambertus 16397318 Sep 11 09:14 data.osm.5 (wget
http://www.informationfreeway.org/api/0.5/relation[bbox=5.5,52.0,6.3,52.3][network=rcn])

The one that was downloaded half an hour later is a bit smaller to my
surprise. I tried to find out what was the difference but visually there
are no changes to spot, but diff outputs so much that I don't know what
to do with it.