In your letter dated Wed, 8 Oct 2008 10:07:40 +0200 you wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Philip Homburg
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> [...]
>> I don't think that a relation should be used to imply oneway=yes. It's just
>> too risky.
>> In a country where just all trunk roads are dual-carriage ways, defaulting
>> to oneway=no is just too risky.
>
>having different defaults for different countries is going to be a
>problem anyway, since not every developer is going to know every
>country default

Most developers don't speak Italian either :-)

But seriously, what I expect is a set of rules of the form "if in-germany
then highway=trunk implies oneway=yes".

There are two issues: encoding the rules and classifying the roads.
Roads can, for example, be classified by having areas with highwaycode=D tags,
optionally with bots that copy highwaycode tags down to ways with a
highway tag to make the whole system more robust.