hi
this is Sergio Sevillano aka User:Sergionaranja

sorry for the inconveniences.
I think I have behave correctly though...

I wanted to have linear barriers in use, so I found the barrier proposal which was the best option for it, and i promoted it along with other users to be approved as it was kind of stalled. the barrier=gate was included before i started modifying it. (i still think it fits better under barrier)
i followed the processes mentioned at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features#Proposal_Status_Process

before voting i have called a final rfc in which i explicitly mentioned that gate was involved as i thought this could be tricky... as user circeus (we have worked a lot in this, thanks) pointed out there were many uses for the deprecating values (highway=gate >> 17,000 + uses in Europe according to Tagwatch). we did a lot of documentation also on wiki links for non english users to know those weird types of gates... blah, blah...

also followed the http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features#Post-vote_clean-up
wich clearly mentions the "Add entry to Map_Features page."
also found Deprecated_features page.
so here i thought a combination of both should be done.

i modified highway features so the change has more clear to all, although you are right it don´t belongs there anymore
i did not include linear barriers there.

*now comes the interpretation*
as Frederic says map features should be actual used features.
but i favour more an interpretation that map features is recommendation of "how to tag", for uses there is the tagwatch.

i have never intended to force others to map or tag in a particular way.

i thougt that changing highway=gate to barrier=gate was such straightforward and uncomplicated that the sudden chage was best. taking in account only osmrender and mapnik i thought that those render changes are easy enough to be done quite fast.

i didnt take in account any other render neither the editors: JOSM, potlach... (two whip lashes for me)

*things I have changed*

I have created key:barrier http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:barrier to reflect those approved by http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Approved_features/barriers

i have modified map features highway template which has been reverted by Frederic to original state

also http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Deprecated_features which Frederic has already mention more correct uses of deprecation and has leaved the new barrier= recommendation

other pages modified:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:highway%3Dgate moved to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:barrier%3Dgate http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:highway%3Dstile moved to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:barrier%3Dstile http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:highway%3Dcattle_grid moved to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:barrier%3Dcattle_grid http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:highway%3Dtoll_booth moved to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:barrier%3Dtoll_booth

so now when you search for gate or highway=gate redirects to barrier=gate.
this might be changed to original state and create independent barrier=gate so both pages are up at same time?

finally, I´am glad all this thoughts have come out, as some changes in the procedures should be done and uploaded. such as proposal_process, approval_process, post_vote_clean_up... deprecation concept

cheers,
Sergio