2008/12/1 Richard Fairhurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Personally I believe the easiest and most flexible thing is just to
> extend
> the access tags:
>
> bicycle=no|yes|difficult|unsuitable
>
> so you'd get
>
> highway=bridleway
> foot=yes (permitted, no problem)
> bicycle:racer=unsuitable (permitted but not practical)
> bicycle:hybrid=difficult (permitted but challenging)
> bicycle:mtb=yes (permitted, no problem)

The obvious problem with this is the massive redundancy. You need to tag
for every possible form of transport, or infer suitability for something
exotic from the provided suitabilities.

On Dec 1, 2008, at 11:09, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> This feels like a far more suitable solution, than smoothness (and
> Ice rink is smooth, but I doubt a racing bike would have much fun on
> it!).

Hurray for absurd arguments. Obviously, 'slippery=yes' is implied on
ice rinks.

I do wonder why people are always jumping on the corner cases to
discredit
smoothness=*. Would one of you that think smoothness is worse than
nothing
care to comment on the "definition by example" I proposed in
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2008-November/031779.html
?

Cheers
Robert