Robert Vollmert wrote:
> The obvious problem with this is the massive redundancy. You need to tag
> for every possible form of transport, or infer suitability for something
> exotic from the provided suitabilities.

Yes, infer, like we do with every other tag. People realised they didn't
need to tag "bicycle=yes;horse=yes;car=yes" on every road about five minutes
after OSM started. You can still find some of those ways around if you look
hard enough. ;)

> I do wonder why people are always jumping on the corner cases to
> discredit smoothness=*.

It's not about corner cases. It's about usability. Remembering what
very_horrible means, or absolutely_smashing, or
aaaahhr_you're_my_best_mate_I_feckin_love_you_I_do, is just impossible. It's
like tracktype all over again, just with silly names.

cheers
Richard