On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 15:04 -0800, John3478 John3478 wrote:

>                 If some zooms are working fine but others are not then
>                 it suggests that
>                 maybe you need to change more of the Postgis usernames
>                 & passwords in
>                 the osm.xml file. By my counting there are 29
>                 instances of DB username &
>                 password in the file.
>
>                 You might find it easiest to start with the
>                 osm-template.xml file which
>                 has special tokens like DBPASS, DBUSER. Normally you'd
>                 run this through
>                 the customize-mapnik-map Perl script but I'm unsure
>                 how well this will
>                 work on Windows due to the use of environment
>                 variables. You could just
>                 use a search and replace in a text editor instead.
>
>                        Jon
>
> (somehow, my first email with attachment not working, I resend the
> email without attachment)
> Thanks so much for the feedback, any feedback will be useful for me,
> since I am just stuck no where to go. :). So, I will try anything. he
> he he.
>
> Ok, here what I have tried (My environment is windows and I am using
> extracted cloudmate map. )
> 1. Here is the last zoom at 7
> http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10282803gm2.png
> Is this means the images get the data from database? or is it get the
> data from the boundary?

The blue and red lines are definitely coming from the database. At least
part of the rendering is working

> 2. From zoom lever 8 to 16, it did create directory including sub
> directory, however no images generated at all.
>
> 3. I did replace all in the databasource setting for database in
> osm.xml. (I attached the osm-local.xml. Yes, perl script is not
> running that well with environment in windows, so I manually replace
> them.
>
> 4. Since there is no historic column, I removed historic and airways
> Layer and its association from the osm.xml

Perhaps the lack of images at zoom 8+ is due to other missing columns.
You should get the latest default.style the link below and import the
data again

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/utils/export/osm2pgsql/default.style?format=raw

After this you should have a database with the historic column and
probably a few more as well.

> 5. The database coming from cloudmate map because I only wanted
> certain region only. I did try to import from latest planet osm but
> failed in the middle of import. I did have 120GB freespace and 2GB
> memory).

A small extract is the best place to start. It is very frustrating to
waste a day re-importing the full planet data due to a minor error in
the import process.

> Thanks so much, I did halftway trying out in Ubuntu, I think windows
> give so much problems.  :)

I believe most of the OSM development work happens on top of Linux so
you'll have better luck with Ubuntu. There will probably be known
solutions for any problems you find.

        Jon