Hi!

Russ Nelson schrieb:
 >> Hopefully you know and trust the lawyers, foundation, whoever, ...
 >> involved. WE PROBABLY DON'T KNOW THEM SO WHY SHOULD WE MAGICALLY TRUST
 >> THEM?!?
 >
 > You can't.  There is no magic wand to create trust.  Only through time
 > and repeated interaction can you learn to trust somebody.  And if you've
 > been around for more than a year, you've had that time and those
 > interactions -- if you've chosen to pay attention.  If you expect to
 > participate in the process afterwards, then I think your expectations
 > are off.

Pay attention to what? There was no attempt to inform a wider number of
people. That is exactly the point. I have been around for 6 months, I am
subscribed to talk and talk-de and until two weeks ago I was completely
unaware that there was a planned change of licence at all. And then it
was not some official information but mentioned in a private discussion.

I recon there was no way to find out about this short of subscribing to
legal talk - and why on earth would any mapper do that if he has no idea
that anything concerning him is going on?

This is the first time an ordinary OSM member had a chance to get notice
of the licence change and I bet you that there are 80000 account holders
who still have no idea that anything is going on - so the process is
just starting now. And we still have failed to give notice and
understandable (translated) information to the majority of participants.

If you want to convince people to consent to your scheme, you have to go
to them.

bye
        Nop