http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Open_Issues#Featur

es_touched_by_multiple_contributors.2C_not_all_of_whom_sign_up_to_new_t
> erms
>
> That being said, it would be a really good idea for people to know who
> the current contributors in their area are and to get into contact
> with them. I am doing that in my area for sure.

Yes, certainly in my area I've been adding extra levels of detail (such
as maxspeed, maxweight, motorcar=destination, etc.) to ways mapped by
others. So viewing those areas will show my name as the most recent
contributor, but I didn't go down all of those roads originally.

There are also a few places where I've fixed the topology (several
almost-connecting ways when I know that they do connect in reality). So,
again, I'm listed at the most recent contributor when in reality the
majority of the work there was done by someone else.

So, it's not necessarily so easy to see who the major contributor to the
data is. However it would give Daniel a good idea of whether the data is
being actively maintained, which I think was the gist of the question.

Gregory