I'd support that highway=path needs to be rendered in the cycle map layer,
especially now it's becoming clearer how it's being used (for "raw" paths as
you describe them). The dark grey dashed lines in Mapnik seem a good
starting point.

If "path" was rendered then the problem kinda goes away - use cycleway for
good ways that are OK to cycle on, footway for good ways that are not OK to
cycle on, and path for raw ways where access rights are unclear. That
probably covers the bulk of situations.

Richard