On 18 May 2009, at 01:38, Matt Amos wrote:

> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:32 PM, MP <singular...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TopSat
>>>  http://www.qinetiq.com/home/defence/defence_solutions/space/topsat.html
>>>
>>>  Apparently you can rent it for £25k a week... easily within the
>>> ambition of
>>>  donate.openstreetmap.org.
>>
>> How large part of earth could be imaged in that timeframe?
>> Topsat have 2.5m resolution, which is quite fine for most areas,
>> though less than aerial imagery ...
>
> 2.5m sounds about the same as Y!, so its even enough for rudimentary
> building mapping. but thats the black-and-white figure, the colour
> resolution is about 5m. :-)
>
> out of interest, is there a link to the £25k figure? i couldn't find
> any pricing information on the net anywhere...

Sound great, but in the mean time we can of course buy commercial
photography including the right to derive mapping at a cost of about
$17 per sq km which is affordable for compact European cities but not
for large rain-forests! The Gaza strip cost £4,500 and photography for
the Birmingham conurbation would be about £5,000. A small UK town
would be <£5000. The West Midlands are looking for sponsors at present.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Aerial_photography_funding_appeals

Regards,

Peter