OJ W wrote:
> start_date=, end_date=
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Properties
>
> http://osmdoc.com/en/tag/start_date/
>
> http://osmdoc.com/en/tag/end_date/
>
> maybe someone could create the tag pages for those on wiki?
>
> 2009/5/22 Peter Dörrie <peter.doer...@googlemail.com>:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I made a proposal for tagging "the 4th dimension". Hope you like it ;)
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/4th_Dimension

There are a couple of things here that need discussing, but hopefully
that can be a quick discussion. MANY of the features on the map can be
identified with a 'start_date' and it would be nice to have that
information. Lots of new roads are being built, and many historic
locations have a construction date.

The problem comes with 'end_date', and since in some areas roads ARE
being destroyed, are they removed from the map or CAN they be left with
an end_date and features which have an end_date earlier than the current
date are ignored? ( I'm thinking of the 2012 Olympic site which has
re-routed many roads? )

The actual content of a date is a major point of discussion, but for the
time being I would propose sticking with a simple ISO date format. The
discussion on historic date formats has been going on for years now on
the genealogical lists without agreement. Just consider where a
start_date is between two known dates. i.e. a feature is absent on a map
of 1945 but present in the 1955 map - so you end up with a more complex
start_date entry ... and which calendar was used to provide the date ;)

( start_date and end_date were I think added for things like festivals
and other transitory map information, so it may be appropriate to
redefine them as constructed_date and demolished_date to distinguish
historic data from transitory data ? )

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL