Hi all,

there has been a quite lively debate on talk-de about the appearance of the
openstreetmap.org page to "newcomers" to the project, speaking people who
heard of it for the first time and come around to see if they (and how) they
will be able to use it for their goals (note: not all of them might want to
participate in mapping). Several people made some suggestions and I would
like to get your take on those:

Move the map

It was argued that the map itself does not provide enough "eye candy" and
usability (ability to draw on it, etc.) for first time visitors. Others
argued (and I support that) that neat functions (routing, drawing, etc) are
not the goal of openstreetmap.org. OSM exists to provide the data, not the
services.
But then, why give the map a such dominant position? The suggestion has been
made to move the map (or make it less dominant), and instead offer a set of
high profile real life OSM applications (OpenCycleMap, OpenRouteService,
Cloudmade, etc.)

Greetings,

Peter

PS: I didn't participate in the discussion myself, but I think it touches
some important points which can not be changed without the consensus of not
only the German community.