> I'd be tempted just to draw the ways on, stick maxspeed tags on the
> A3, and hope that whichever routing engine you have in mind can put
> a penalty on paths that cross roads with high maxspeeds and no light
> controlled crossing on the node(s).

I'm definitely new to the OSM scene, but this sounds like a reasonable
solution. Couple it with dangerous:yes, hazardous:yes, (cursory looks on
tagwatch and OSMdoc reveal neither of these are in much use)
potentially_may_be_squashed_to_resemble_a_crepe:yes or something similar
(though that last one is too specific).

I think a "potentially unsafe" key would be good--whatever it is
called--because it could also be used for unsafe hiking routes, river fords,
logging roads, alleys in the bad part of town, all floodways, air strips,
swimming holes, all bomb ranges, etc.

search something from http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:crossing or
> discuss a new value there ;-)

Having crossing=dangerous or similar would also work, but would be less
universally usable (roads, paths, rivers and.. lava flows?)

Just my 2ยข.

-Tyler