On Jun 16, 2009, at 5:09 PM, SteveC wrote:

> On 16 Jun 2009, at 09:51, Stefan de Konink wrote:
>
>> Eric Pritchett wrote:
>>> I'm sure there are more advantages,
>>
>> There is; there is no trade mark on the name :)
>
> There isn't on openstreetmap either.

My understanding is that in the US a trademark on a product is created
by doing trade, whereas in Europe it's created by registering.  Seems
to me like the OSMF has a trademark on a collection of geodata called
OpenStreetMap(tm), at least in the US.  It's easier to lose a
trademark than to gain one, though.  Easiest way to lose one is to
claim that you don't have a trademark on it.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson