Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/7/31 John Smith <delta_foxt...@yahoo.com>:
>> --- On Thu, 30/7/09, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> - residential roads (just in residential areas, no
>>> connecting
>>> function, you will not take this if you don't live in the
>>> area)
>>> - unclassified roads (not clear, there are voices that they
>>> don't
>>> exist in urban areas, I personally use them if there are
>>> either no
>>> residents nearby or if they are slightly bigger than
>>> residential
>>> streets and are used to access residential streets)
>>
>> Most of what I classify as unclassified roads (not streets) are
>> usually lower on the chain than residential, as they only have 1 lane
>> in most cases, so I wouldn't expect them to exist in urban areas.
>
> it's a different meaning in urban areas as in rural areas. Many of
> what you tag as primary and secondary in rural areas (especially low
> density ones) has  2 (1+1)  lanes, while in a metropolitan area will
> very often be at least 2+2.

I object to the notion that there should be a different relationship
between residential/unclassified in urban vs rural areas.  We already
have too much of that, and I think it's a sign our definitions are off
base.  There's no clear boundary, and we have to translate this to
garmin, etc., use in Free nav programs, and render, so people doing
things differently based on where they are or what they're used to seems
like trouble.  That said, I see the trouble with the secondary/tertiary
definition (will send separately about that).

To me these are both

  real streets that you can drive on

  roads you would probably only use to get to places near them

and the only difference is that residential means it's mostly bordered
by residences.  Arguably the whole notion of highway=residential is
somewhat broken, since residences nearby should be landuse=residential
polygons, but it does affect the feel of the road and it runs pretty
deep in osm, so I won't really object.

Perhaps we need a specific highway=alley tag to say "this is a road you
can drive on, but it's definitely narrow/inferior and you don't want to
go there unless you have to in order to get somewhere".