Hi!

I have amended the bridge and tunnel pages with the reason for those rules:
Rendering breaks if you have different layers on junction nodes. But whats
more important, in real life bridges don't start in the *middle* of junctions
so there *is* a little bit of non-bridge roads between the junction and
the bridge.

For very tight features this is a problem, I agree. But I haven't seen
a good solution for this yet. The rules on the wiki work in most cases and
give good guidance to newbies. But they should never be read as gospel,
so if you have a solution that works better for your case, just use it.

For canals in Dutch cities, I'd consider not tagging the roads special but
giving the canals a layer=-1 and maybe use tunnels where they cross under the
roads. That might be a bit of a hack, but sometimes its easier to tag something
as a tunnel even if it might technically not be one.

Jochen

--
Jochen Topf  joc...@remote.org  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298