John Smith wrote:

> I didn't think it would be the best option, for most of the reasons
> you point out, however we have to start some where, so I thought I'd
> get the ball rolling.

You're most welcome to do that, as in #osm-nl we have talked about
regionalised rendering as well, in the past. I've rolled one small
aspect of this out on our walking routes map, which renders different
shields for The Netherlands and Belgium. I did copy our country boundary
polygons to another table, because if for some reason the country
boundary in OSM is non-closed, the whole regionalised rendering would
fall over.

My thoughts are that the import process should sort out the hard part of
this: comparing of features against a polygon, and stamping them with a
field we can filter on in mapnik. Either by running some sql at the end
of the import (but should also work for diffs and changed polygons), or
by doing this itself.

What were the other issues you had thought up?

--
Lennard