Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> I suppose it would be possible to get osm2pgsql to assign columns
> based on country locations, if the relevant polygons were available in

Not just countries, but also states (different shields per state, for
instance). Granted: same thing really.

>> One more issue I see is what to do with features that cross these
>> boundaries? Which style will/should they get? Should the import split
>> them into 2 features, each on one side of the boundary?
>
> Tricky, not something that's going to be solved the first try.

A little birdie once told me of a trick used by a certain map maker.
Split the border-crossing road twice, so there is only a short section
that actually crosses the border; probably less than 10 meters. Assign
one of the styles to that short section, either randomly or by length or
any other means. Because these sections are so short, it's not
noticeable on a map, and you don't have "style bleed".

--
Lennard