Hi,

paul youlten wrote:
> Do modern RC controls have that sort of range? 3.5km seems a lot... an
> alternative would be to control it with GPS and some sort of
> electronic flight plan/autopilot.

I always thought that aviation regulations require the pilot - whether
on board or on the ground - to monitor the airspace around the aircraft
and take evasive action where necessary. It would be hard to do that on
the ground for an aircraft that far up. But maybe that depends on the
country you're in. I think in the US it is pretty much "everything goes"
up to 1200 feet AGL or so but after that you have to behave.

Bye
Frederik