Igor Brejc <igor.brejc <at> gmail.com> writes:

>For days now I've been trying to figure out how I could render borders
>between England, Wales and Scotland using OSM data,

>   1. Borders between these countries are tagged with the same
>      admin_level=4 as that of subdivisions inside England (example:
>      North East England, http://osm.org/go/evykef-?relation=151164).
>      Now I'm not a constitutional expert, but I think Wales and
>      Scotland represent different level of territorial division than
>      just a collection of England's counties.

Agreed.  These English regions are largely spurious (they have some kind
of 'development agency' with a small budget, but no real political
existence or power) and certainly not equivalent to the border between
England and Scotland or between federal states in countries like the USA
or Germany.  They look very odd on the main slippy map.

I propose to just retag them as anything other than admin_level=4, any
objections?

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>