Chris

Despite the well-argued views of a minority, I am persuaded by the equally
well-argued views of the (considerable) majority who favour option (b).

That is not to say that there isn't room for using a bit of common sense! I
wouldn't divide up Delamere Forest into individual areas bounded by paths etc.
- the paths in a sense form part of the forest landuse - but I would probably
divide a residential area with, say, a major road going through it and would
certainly divide landuse=farm either side of a road, for example, if I knew
that it was a different farm on either side.

Like everything else in OSM, it all a question of judgement!

I asked the original question from a neutral standpoint but - in the light of
the responses have now developed a preference for option (b) - with exceptions.

Of course, nothing is ever final ...

Mike Harris