Having lived in England, America and Germany ...

In British English and avenue is usually used for a road (or sometimes another
way - e.g. in a park) that is lined with trees.
I agree with John's definition of the American English usage.
In German I agree with Robert that "alley" is a mistranslation ('false friend')
for "Allee", which I would normally translate into (British) English as
"avenue" - just as I would "puistotie" from Finnish (which is a more
descriptive term anyway - 'park road').
To confuse matters further, my feeling is that in French the word "allée" can
be translated - according to context - into the British English "avenue", the
American English "avenue" or the English "alley"!
Not quite sure about Chinese or Arabic (:>)

I don't especially like "tree-lined" - but at least it says what it means and
avoids the linguistic mess!

Mike Harris