On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> There have been several discussions whether area borders - such as
> landuse areas - should use the same nodes as streets they are adjacent
> to. Iirc, some participants complained that sharing nodes causes editing
> problems - making it hard to select individual ways, requiring the
> relatively unknown unglue operations when editing the ways etc. With
> streets represented as areas, the "way=middle-of-the-road" argument
> wouldn't apply, so we probably would have to start dealing with
> overlapping ways and/or shared nodes.

I'm one of the ones who objects to landuse areas sharing the same
nodes as streets they are adjacent to.  But my objection would go away
if the street were mapped as an area.

Sort of.  In my opinion the residential landuse area shouldn't include
the sidewalk either, or even the unpaved right of way if there is no
sidewalk.

Yes, it'd be a pain to edit with overlapping ways and/or shared nodes.
 But that's why God made multipolygon relations :).