Morten,

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Morten Kjeldgaard <m...@bioxray.dk> wrote:
> It is indeed true that this concept could be expanded to deal with, say, a
> six-lane highway, a cloverleaf intersection, etc. Fascinating...
>
> Well, the internal connections would be constructed from nodes and ways
> inside the object (but encapsulated from the outside world, so they are only
> accessible from the object/multiplex itself.) Therefore, the object knows
> the length of it's internal connections and should be able to answer that
> question. (Perhaps it sounds like I'm talking about a C++ object but I hope
> you get the meaning.)
>
> In the meantime, I've elaborated a little bit on this idea, illustrated with
> somewhat more detailed pictures of the intersection. It's on my wiki page [0].
[snip]
> [0] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Mok0#Multiplex_suggestion

I think it's great.  The "multiplex" acts sort of like a relation,
except that it enforces certain constraints rather than letting people
build structures which don't make logical sense.  I think the concept
could be extremely extensible.

What do you think about implementation?  From a database standpoint,
it looks like a type of relation.  But who enforces the constraints?
Server-side would certainly best protect the data from corruption.
Editor imposed constraints would be more in tune with the current OSM
philosophy (let the mappers do whatever the editors let them do, and
just mark logically nonsensical situations in weblint).

Any way you can think of that I might be able to help?

Anthony