On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Matt Amos <zerebub...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
>> > I don't know, I find it somewhat mind-boggling that a site like OSM
>> > would
>> > even consider resorting to "browse-through license agreements" in order
>> > impose terms which go beyond that of copyright.  It's the exact oppose
>> > of
>> > what I'd expect from a site which calls itself "open" and "free".
>>
>> i'm not sure i understand your point. OSM has a license which (tries
>> to) impose requirements on the re-use of the data, but that's still
>> "open" and "free", right?
>
> CC-BY-SA doesn't try to impose any requirements which go beyond copyright
> law.

you keep saying this, but i still don't understand. CC BY-SA imposes
requirements *using* copyright law. ODbL imposes requirements *using*
database law and contract law.

> Agreeing to CC-BY-SA can only give me, as the licensee, *more* rights,
> not take any away.  "Nothing in this license is intended to reduce, limit,
> or restrict any rights arising from fair use, first sale or other
> limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner under copyright
> law or other applicable laws."  CC-BY-SA is a unilateral conditional waiver
> of rights.  ODbL, on the other hand, is a standard bilateral contract.

which still gives you *more* rights.

>> we're talking about moving to another
>> license with very similar requirements, but a different
>> implementation, and that's not "open" and "free" anymore? it would
>> really help me if i could understand your position.
>
> Creative Commons said it better than I can:

from my reading of creative commons comments they're saying something
very different from what you seem to be saying. but maybe i'm just
misunderstanding you.

[ note: i've excerpted those sections which i thought were relevant]
> The result is that the ODbL can in certain
> circumstances impose obligations and restrictions on users under a contract
> theory, rather than based on a protection afforded by statute, common law,
> or other recognized right.

indeed. this is kind of the point: the US and some other jurisdictions
don't yet have a database rights law, so to enforce similar
restrictions to CC BY-SA it's necessary to use some other method.

> Thus, it is not clear under the ODbL whether providers would have an
> independent breach of contract claim, in addition to an infringement claim,
> or even in the absence of an infringement claim, for any violations of the
> “license” (or alternatively, contract).
>
> This is important for several reasons. First, as discussed above, due to
> legal variations in copyright doctrines among different countries, as well
> as the availability of sui generis protection in some countries but not in
> others, there may be cases where an infringement claim is not available to a
> provider because no underlying property right exists. However, in such
> cases, could the provider seek to enforce a provision of the ODbL, such as
> the share-alike provision, under a contract theory instead?

i think that's the idea, yes.

> And if it could
> do so, would that constitute an extension of protection beyond the scope
> intended by existing statutory schemes? For example, could data or databases
> that fail to qualify for copyright protection under U.S. law due to lack of
> the requisite level of creativity nevertheless be made subject to the
> share-alike provision in the U.S. under a contract theory?

that's part of the point of ODbL, yes.

> Could this be
> applied to individual data elements that are not themselves
> copyrightable—such as sensor readings or basic facts and ideas?

no, the ODbL explicitly doesn't cover individual elements of the
database, covering the database as a whole (or substantial part)
instead.

> Could
> European sui generis database rights be enforced against a U.S. user on the
> basis of the existence of a contractual relationship created by the ODbL?"

i don't really understand this question - the requirements of the ODbL
can be enforced against a US user on the basis of a contractual
relationship, but i don't think that equates to EU database rights.
the ODbL is the ODbL, not an extension of EU law.

cheers,

matt