Sorry, looks like this one was sent only to Elena, I meant it for the entire
list to see. If it comes double up, than I am sorry for your inconviniency

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Aun Johnsen <li...@gimnechiske.org>
Date: Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Why PD is not better for business
To: Elena of Valhalla <elena.valha...@gmail.com>

 On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:10 AM, Elena of Valhalla <elena.valha...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 12/9/09, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are those in favour of PD really arguing that convenience for businesses
> is
> > the main benefit? I would have thought the main benefits would be for
> > individuals, and to avoid future licensing issues. Once data is licensed
> PD,
> > you really don't need to ever deal with the issue again, afaik.
>
> I am in favour of PD because I believe that in _this_ case it would be
> better for the free software community: copyleft works best when there
> are just few widely known and mostly easy to understand licenses,
> otherwise it becomes an obstacle; the odbl is even worse than the GPL
> as far as understandability goes.

How businesses choose to make money out of our data is irrelevant for what
license we should choose. Most such corporations would be able to make the
same amount of money with almost any license. We have to look at how it can
benefit individuals, volentair organizations and NGO's, where copyrights can
be a really big obstacle. I know that many such use google map snippets or
active maps today, in most cases probably inside copyright terms from
google, though there are cases otherwise. A PD type license will largely
eliminate this problem, and by informing the organizations about OSM as an
PD alternative to Google copyright (violations), than more people will see
our maps.

CC-BY-SA really doesn't fit this type of data, same with *GPL and BSD, ODbL
seems like an adaption of CC-BY-SA to fit our purposes better, though I
still would like us to move all the way to PD.