Brendan Morley wrote:
> All for addressing, as far as I can tell, a theoretical problem, with no
> real-world "exploits".

I understand that actual exploits would make the problem more obvious,
but I find the underlying logic questionable nevertheless.

No one has broken into my house for 5 years now. Does this mean my door
locks are secure? No, it might easily just mean that
* most people are honest enough not break into my house
* the stuff I have in here is not valuable enough
* I was simply lucky
Of course, it doesn't necessarily mean that the locks are insecure
either, it's just that you need experts checking the locks to decide
this.

Similarly, that no one (we know of) has abused weaknesses in CC-by-SA so
far could be because
* most users of OSM like the project anyway, so they voluntarily comply
* OSM is still inferior to other data sources in most places, so we
aren't an attractive target; especially as we could cut off update by
switching licenses (I'd expect clear support for that after an exploit)
* we were simply lucky
Again, just from looking at this, CC-by-SA might or might not work. It
takes legal experts who check at the license to decide this.

If the license has problems (and there are legal arguments indicating
that they exist), just waiting until an exploit occurs is detrimental.
After all, if we try to relicense in a few years, we will lose much more
data (more contributors will have left/died/changed their e-mail address
until then, each object will have been touched by a larger number of
contributors, and of course there will be a larger amount of data in the
database overall).

So unfortunately, we need to decide soon - and in absence of reliable
empirical data available, only theory is available.

Tobias Knerr